Spending Time with Loved Ones
Holiday gatherings are cherished traditions for many families. It’s a time when we get to eat delicious food and enjoy being together. The holidays also allow us to spend time with older loved ones and note any changes in their health, or home environment. During your visit, you may see subtle or substantial signs that an older adult in your life needs help to safely age in place. It’s important to be proactive and keep your eyes and ears open.
Ten tips for observing older adults during your visit:
1. Do a home safety inspection. Make sure to test smoke alarms and check the house for loose wiring and improper lighting. Pay close attention while inspecting stairways and walkways.
2. Take a look around the kitchen. Place dishes and pans on convenient, easy-to-reach shelves.
3. Assess the house for excess clutter, dust, or other signs that assistance with housecleaning is needed.
4. Check the refrigerator and pantry to ensure there’s enough food and other supplies. Ensure there are enough supplies for beyond the holidays.
5. Install grab bars in the bathroom.
6. Check for scatter rugs and uneven flooring that could cause a fall. Falls are one of the most dangerous problems for older adults.
7. Research local resources for older adults. Things like grocery delivery and transportation services can help keep them safe.
8. Know where important papers, such as insurance cards and advance directives are located.
9. Get an updated medication list from their doctor or pharmacy. Check medicine cabinets for expired medications.
10. Identify one or two neighbors who would be willing to drop in occasionally. Exchange phone numbers and e-mail addresses and encourage them to contact you if they have concerns.
If you think an older adult in your life needs assistance, such as personal care, medication reminders, or light housekeeping, Boston Senior Home Care can help. Our highly-trained staff will work with you to ensure that your loved ones remain safe and independent at home.
For more information, call us at 617-292-6211 or email us at [email protected]